Getting your kids ready for summer day camp is a bit like prepping them for the first day of school: it’s a new routine, new friends, new instructors, new activities…and new stuff for parents to buy and pack!
Use this handy reference list of must-haves for summer day camp as a guideline to make sure you’ve got everything ready to go.
No doubt your child’s camp will also provide a list that includes specifics based on activities offered: a life jacket for boating, shin guards for soccer, a tennis racquet, etc. Be sure to read that thoroughly, too, but our list will get you started with all the basics kids need for day camp.
Summer Day Camp Packing List
- long-sleeved shirts
Stock up on camp-proof play clothing at used clothing stores; here are some second-hand clothing stores in Toronto with good selections for kids.
- extra pair of sneakers
- sandals (waterproof, closed-toe, with back strap)
- rain jacket
- rain pants
- sun hat
Check out some excellent non-toxic sunscreens for kids.
- SPF lip balm
- bug repellent
- inhalers and/or prescription medication
- lunch and snack items
- insulated litterless lunch bag
- water bottle
- backpack (one with an exterior pocket for a water bottle)
- hand wipes
- Make sure all lunches are nut-free
- Be sure to label everything!
- Some items may be prohibited by the camp: such as electronic devices, money, and chewing gum. Be aware of camp regulations and do a sweep of your child’s backpack.
READ MORE LIKE THIS:
Sending your kids to sleep-away camp? Here’s how to prep for overnight camp.
So many camps—how to choose? Get started with this overview of Toronto day camps by type.
These 5 day-camp FAQs are important for every parent to read!
Find the perfect camp by searching our Toronto & GTA camps directory.
Sign up for our newsletters to get parenting and family fun articles delivered to you!