This event finished on 21 September 2020
- Venue: online/virtual
- Categories: Day Camps, Online Classes & Virtual Events
- Times vary; check event website for details.
- Listing: Stand UP for Student Well Being
The week-long Zoom camps for kids ages 11–14 run until the end of August and then into the fall once school starts up again. Kids participate in daily camp meetings with trained comedian coaches. The coaches teach participants how to use personal storytelling and humour to build bravery and confidence, and empower youth to be kind, inclusive, resilient and healthy.
The program also helps campers develop written and oral literacy skills in a fun way and develops their public speaking skills.
Working in small groups, children will
- focus on writing and performing stories about themselves with the comedic art form
- use stand up comedy and improvisation
- develop a sense of teamwork with the other children in the group – their joke buddies
- learn strategies for social, emotional, mental and physical well-being
- write and perform a culminating performance at the end of the week
The camps follow the “rule of three” policy so at least three people are involved in any camp and no camper is online alone with a comedian coach. The usual model is to have a small group of two to three campers per coach.
Cost is $150 for a Monday–Friday virtual camp, with choice of 1 pm or 7 pm time slots. Each session is 1 hour.